A masterpiece of Arab-Muslim architecture, the Hassan II Mosque is one of the most beautiful religious buildings in the world.
Hassan II Mosque is actually unique in its architecture and size. With its minaret that rises to 200 m in height and has a 30km laser directed towards Mecca, it is considered to be the highest religious building in the world. The idea of building a large mosque in Casablanca reflects the Royal will to provide the Casablanca metropolis with a great spiritual and civilizational monument of Morocco, giving it a harmonious urban development and allowing it to increase its radiance and influence based on faith, piety and tolerance.
His late Majesty Hassan II, may God rest his soul, laid the foundation stone of this mosque on 5 Dou Al Kiida 1406 of the Hegira, corresponding to July 11, 1986. The construction works started under the effective and daily supervision of His Majesty Hassan II, who had made sure that this great building reflects the artistic specificities of authentic Moroccan architecture, while highlighting its openness to technological innovations.
Through this architectural masterpiece, His Majesty Hassan II wanted to highlight the importance and value of the mosque among Moroccans throughout history, just as He wanted to show that this place of worship has played an important role in the promotion of authentic architectural art and the preservation of the civilizational heritage, especially since the Casablanca Hassan II mosque reflects the great talents of the Moroccan Artisan.
The building of this mosque on the Atlantic Ocean inspired by the Qur'anic verse "the throne of God was upon the water" was a pioneering idea intended to invite believers who go to this mosque to remember the greatness of God who created the sea and the sky.
The design of this work was the result of collaboration between the office of the French architect Michelle PINSEAU and the various Moroccan artisanal bodies that have created and revive by the hand of maâlem (master) beauty and the splendid seal of Moroccan architecture.
Expression of the symbiosis between a king and his people, the realization of this prestigious monument was financed thanks to the participation of all the Moroccan people who voluntarily answered the Royal call, each according to his means and his generosity .
This building was thus inaugurated on the occasion of the celebration by the Muslim world of aid al mawlid 12 Rabi I 1414 AH corresponding to August 30, 1993.